Monday, December 31, 2007

I can read!!!



Brooklynn has known her alphabet since before she was 2 years old and soon after that she learned the accompanying sounds. Just this past year we've been working on her writing but I wasn't going to start into reading until she was better at writing. But being the curious little thing that she is, she's always asking what certain words are and how they're spelled, etc...so I guess we inadvertently taught her how to sound things out. She came to me last night holding a Christmas card with pictures of my friend's family on the front and, as usual, was asking who all these people were. She was spelling out all their names and then just started sounding them out and saying all of their names. At first, I thought maybe I had told her their names on a previous occasion, so I picked up her "Friend" magazine and started asking her to read other short words. She sounded them all out and was able to tell me all of the words!!! I beamed with delight and made such a fuss...so you can guess she wanted to do the REST of the evening! We read all the words we could find around the house (as long as they weren't too complicated). I know that many kids read at this age, but I am just particularly impressed with the fact that we haven't really even started working on it. I know, I know...EVERY mother thinks their kid is a genius, right? Even so...I was VERY PROUD of my little Shnooky!!!

4 comments:

Jami said...

Reading at her age? I am VERY impressed! Way to go Brooklyn!

394bull said...

Way to go Brooklynn. Words on street signs and billboards while traveling was my first reading challenge. I think I was 19 at the time.

Grandpa Tom

Unknown said...

Brooklynn, what a smart & precious little girl. I guess your mom and I can't spell things around you any more, heck you would likly correct my spelling. Way to go honey!

Grandma Susu

Elaine said...

Brooklynn is not only pretty she is also smart. What a winning combination.
Kudos to Tara for being an awesome mother.
Love
Aunt Elaine